Amir & Halina: A Sudden Street Pre-Wedding Portrait Session

29 Comments
I had the privilege to attend Amir and Halina's wedding reception last weekend. Amir has been a constant street shooting partner in crime, we have attacked KL streets together for countless times, and I have been a constant admirer of his black and white street photography. About a few months ago, when Amir asked if I would be interested to do a quick pre-wedding shoot on the streets for him and Halina, how could I say no? 

Now, that pre-wedding shoot was not as straightforward as I thought. The shoot took place some time in September last year (about half a year ago!!), when KL was still enveloped with thick, unhealthy, ugly haze, yet we needed some shots done outdoor. On top of that, we only had about 3 hours to get everything done as everyone was quite busy, and it was a group shoot (there were other photographers, which means I did not have full 3 hours to myself). And in the shooting plan we were to cover a few different locations. Nonetheless, being ambitious and excited at the same time, we braved the great KL haze and made the session happen. 

Now do bear in mind I do not do wedding photography for a living. I sometimes take up actual day wedding photography assignment to fund my gear purchase, as well as to buy that extra few cups of overpriced coffee (which you often see in my blog entries, coffee after shutter therapy sessions). It is even a rarer occasion for me to do pre-wedding photography! I did however, enjoy myself tremendously. 

All images were taken with Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark II with M.Zuiko 7-14mm F2.8 PRO, 25mm F1.8 and 45mm F1.8 lenses

















This clearly shows how serious the haze problem was in KL!



To Amir and Halina, congratulations to you both! It was a pleasure seeing both of you so happy on the actual wedding reception, and you both were meant for each other!


29 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. are all pic straight ooc? #5-9 are my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and the photos were almost straight out of camera, with minor adjustments. Contrast tweak and exposure fine tuning.

      Delete
  3. Very cool work and natural subjects

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea to film the pre-wedding in a subway station. With the creative use of the ultra-wide zoom you've fashioned an intimate setting out of the most public of spaces. I'm sure the couple was thrilled with the results.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome as always!!! Great shots! I love all of them. Regards from Portugal.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful series of images, thoroughly enjoyed viewing them. Keep up the great photography :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great use of an ultra wide lens !
    All photos are excellent.

    Regards from Czech Republic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Daniel, with such strong background, wide angle use is beneficial.

      Delete
  8. Wow! Robin, this is what you do so well! Great use of surroundings, and of reflections and movement. Particularly love the wide-angle shot of the couple standing still while everyone else is in motion around them. Colour version of that shot works even better than the b&w (IMHO) because you have menaged to isolate the couple from the crowd so effectively.

    Felicitations to the beautiful young couple, and congratulations to the clever photographer who has so brilliantly captured their happiness and love.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the compliments Keith, and this was perhaps my first time doing something like this: pre-wedding portraits on the street. I think I should explore this more!

      Delete
  9. These are very awesome shots. Great work, Robin!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Btw, I found the first photo quite humorous. There is one girl on the right, behind our couple, who is also frozen in the shot. This creates the feeling like there is a "hidden story" between the girl and the couple.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like the first photo of Amir and Halina - the one with the bustling crowd of people all around them. Will you please elaborate technically how to make such a wonderfu photograph?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind words Michael. It was taken with the 45mm F1.8 Olympus lens, hand-held. I shot at Shutter Speed of 0.5 second, on shutter priority and ISO auto.

      Delete
  12. Before my wedding I asked many last minute questions from the manager, and his answer was always: "we have that covered" or "no problem". It was extremely comforting. I am so thankful to the manager and staff from wedding venues for all of their efforts on our behalf.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Robin, I´m a fan since years of your reviews and in the same time of your pics; your an incredible "all-purpose" photographer: this couple was/is in really good hands...
    greetings from Europe/Spain/Almeria/Mojacar
    William Cazaluz

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for sharing.... these are very awesome photo

    ReplyDelete