The Curry Puff

10 Comments
Malaysia is a land of awesome food. If I were to start shooting and documenting local food in Malaysia, it might probably take years to finish. One of the popular food, as well as my personal favourite, has always been the curry puff (locals call it Karipap). Basically it is sort of like a pastry with curry fillings. The fillings can vary from just vegetables (potatoes, etc), or mix of vegetables and meat (chicken), cooked in curry. 

So I decided to stop by a road side curry puff stall, and started shooting away. 

What Curry Puff looked like, before deep frying


They all started with the dough, made flat and thin. 

The curry fillings, in this version, just diced potatoes

The curry fillings were scooped and placed into the dough



The simple mould would then shape it into the usual curry puff shapes




Now, the deep frying process, which is unhealthy, but tastes sooooo good

There you go, the curry puffs, served hot. 

If you do come to Malaysia, do give curry puff a try! 



10 comments:

  1. Best Robin!!. My favorite too

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh u meant samosas ....I mean similar filling and cooking procedure ....did u actually ingest any .....? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Different though. Hard to describe unless you have tasted them. Oh yes I bought some home. Had a few while writing this blog

      Delete
  3. Fantastic food, and such good pictures, makes me want some :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, I need to find that mold! I make Japanese gyoza from time to time, but I scream at putting them together, so I usually buy frozen. A mold would be so useful!

    Good photos, as usual, telling a great story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am not even sure where to find the mold itself!

      Delete